Microneedling therapy, also known as skin needling is an old skin resurfacing technique that has re-emerged in recent years thanks to new tools like the SkinPen. The SkinPen is being touted as a breakthrough anti-aging tool, because of its ability to refresh and revitalize the skin in just one hour. But what is the SkinPen and how does it work?
What is the SkinPen?
The SkinPen is a modern pen-shaped https://mrp.io/blog/category/microneedling-pen device by Bellus Medical that is designed to resurface the skin by stimulating the body’s own repair process. The device is fitted with 12 sterile, disposable stainless steel needles that penetrate the skin and kick start the rejuvenation process.
The SkinPen can be used to treat skin issues such as acne scars, fine lines, sun damage, stretch marks, wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation. The procedure is suitable for all skin types, and is safe enough for use anywhere on the body, including the face and neck, and also the arms, legs, back, and abdomen.
How does it work?
SkinPen skin rejuvenation therapy is a non-invasive procedure that is done in-office. A topical anesthetic is first applied to the face. The Pen is then gently moved across the skin, and the stainless steel needles create thousands of micro channels.
When the needles interact with the epidermal or outer skin layer by creating micro-channels, it trigger’s the body’s natural healing process. The body reacts instinctively by trying to reseal these injury points. During the process damaged tissue is dissolved, and new skin cells emerge to take their place. This has the effect of increasing cell turnover in the epidermis, resulting in the rejuvenated appearance of the surface of the skin.
The needles also penetrate down to the dermal or middle layer of the skin, where the collagen fibers and other structural components can be found. The action of the SkinPen at this level stimulates elastin and collagen, which are vital proteins responsible for making the skin smoother and more youthful.
How many treatments do you need?
It typically requires at least 3 treatments spaced about one month apart to achieve the dewy, radiant complexion you desire. Treatment time is about 30 minutes, but this may vary depending on the number of areas being treated.
Recovery is fairly easy, but there may be some slight swelling and redness immediately after treatment, and the skin will look as if you’ve had a slight sunburn. Downtime lasts for about 2 to 3 days, so patients can return to regular activities relatively quickly.
Does it hurt?
Patients have described skin rejuvenation with the SkinPen as a very comfortable and relaxing procedure. The penetration level of the needles can be modified, allowing for the adjustment of the settings to ensure optimal patient comfort.
Results with SkinPen
Results are immediate, as the skin will appear brighter and smoother. The new, healthy collagen created will make the skin tighter, improve skin texture, and reduce pore size. However, the repair process will continue for several weeks as collagen remodeling continues, so final results can take up to 6 months.
The SkinPen Difference
- SkinPen is a natural skin rejuvenation option, because it stimulates your body to heal the micro-sized injury points created by the needles.
- The needles penetrate the epidermis and also go down to the deeper dermal level. Since it affects the skin on two levels, this makes it very effective on skin of varying thickness.
- The size of the SkinPen allows it to easily treat the delicate area around the eyes.
- Since the SkinPen is customizable, it can be adjusted to go deeper in areas that need a more aggressive approach.
- It is a quick, safe alternative that is suitable for all skin types and colors, including darker skin.
- SkinPen is a cost-effective solution when compared to other skin rejuvenation treatments.
- Topicals that are applied post-procedure are more easily absorbed by the skin.