- Getting people to take you seriously isn’t always easy.
- It depends on elements like your appearance, your speech, and your body language.
- We put together 15 tricks that will help you establish credibility quickly. Examples include saying “no” on occasion and giving a solid handshake.
Just because you’re smart, thoughtful, and competent doesn’t necessarily mean people perceive you that way.
If you want coworkers and friends to take you seriously, you’ve got to think seriously about the image you’re projecting – from your outfit to your speech to your body language.
To that end, we put together a list of 15 science- and expert-backed strategies to help you establish credibility, fast.
- 1 Get to work early
- 2 Say ‘no’ sometimes
- 3 Write simply
- 4 Wear glasses
- 5 Show that you’re both warm and competent
- 6 Stop fidgeting
- 7 Speed up your speech
- 8 Let people talk about themselves
- 9 Dress the part
- 10 Master the handshake
- 11 Know what’s going on in the world
- 12 Be ridiculously prepared
- 13 Tell people stories
- 14 Watch your tone
- 15 Stay confident — and humble